Spinach and Cheddar Phyllo Triangles
With flaky phyllo pastry, earthy spinach and rich 2 year old cheddar, these pastry triangles are the perfect appetizer.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 15 triangles
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) packed spinach
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Balderson Royal Canadian Cheddar 2 Year Old
- 1 egg
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook spinach, green onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tender. Stir in parsley and dill. Cool completely. Drain, pressing out any moisture. Stir together spinach mixture, cheddar cheese and egg.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface and brush lightly with butter. Top with 2 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet lightly with butter (keep remaining sheets covered with damp towel). Cut lengthwise into 5 long strips.
- Place tablespoonful of filling about 1/2 inch (1 cm) from end of each strip of phyllo. Fold 1 corner of phyllo over filling so that bottom edge meets side edge to form triangle. Continue folding triangle sideways and upward to end of strip. Fold end flap over to stick.
- Place seam-side down on large parchment paper–lined baking sheet; brush tops with butter. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo and filling.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Substitute olive oil for melted butter if desired.