Savoury Apple and Cheddar Galette
Apples and Cheddar make a perfect match in this delicious galette.
- 1 lemon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed, but cold (cut into 10-inch/25 cm round)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (130 g) Balderson 3 Year Cheddar Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Zest lemon, reserving juice. Toss together apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice, thyme, rosemary, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Add butter; toss well. Set aside.
- Place puff pastry on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Leaving 2-inch (5 cm) border all around, arrange apple mixture in circular pattern over top.
- Fold edges of the pastry over fruit toward centre, making 2-inch (5 cm) pastry border all around. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush over pastry border.
- Bake in lower third of oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top. Slice into wedges; serve warm or at room temperature.
Add smoky cooked bacon or ham to the apple filling if desired.