Roasted Vegetable Bisque with Balderson 3 Year Old Cheddar Cheese
Roasted Vegetable Bisque with
Balderson 3 Year Old Cheddar Cheese
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided (60 mL)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and medium chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and medium chopped (1-1/2 lbs or 600g)
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and medium chopped (1-1/2 lbs or 600g)
- 4 parsnips, peeled and medium chopped (l lb or 454g)
- 5-6 ripe tomatoes, chopped (1 lb or 454g)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (2.5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (2.5 mL)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (15 mL)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (10 mL)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 1/2 cup Lactantia whipping cream (120 mL)
- 1 cup beer (240 mL)
- 6 cups chicken stock (1.5L)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn niblets (480 mL)
- 12 oz Balderson 3 Year Old Cheddar Cheese, grated (340 g)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick vegetable spray and set aside. Place 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- Place the chopped onion, carrot, sweet potato, white potato, parsnip and tomato in the bowl and lightly toss the vegetables, just enough to cover with the oil.
- Transfer the vegetables to the roasting pan and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, approximately 45 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the leek and cook until softened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and sauté for 30.
- Toss in the basil, oregano, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle the flour on top.
- Stir until the mixture is well combined. Gradually stir in the Lactantia cream. Stir the beer in slowly to prevent lumps from forming, then the chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the stock mixture, along with the corn.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and continue to cook the 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Add the Balderson Cheddar cheese to the soup and heat the soup through, stirring frequently until the Balderson Cheddar cheese is melted.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish each with a little more grated Balderson Cheddar cheese or a fresh herb sprig such as parsley.