Pistachio Cheddar Crackers
Fun to make, these impressive homemade crackers have a nice flaky texture with delicious cheddar flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes (+15 minutes chilling time)
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) finely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornmeal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Balderson Royal Canadian Cheddar 2 Year Old
- 1 tsp (5 mL) flaked sea salt
- In food processor, pulse together flour, pistachios, cornmeal, sesame seeds, baking powder, salt and cayenne until blended.
- Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in cheddar cheese; pulse until incorporated.
- Add 3 tbsp (45 mL) water; pulse until soft dough starts to form, adding up to 1 tbsp more water if needed. Transfer to lightly floured work surface; knead a few times. Divide into 2 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and shape into disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll out between 2 pieces of parchment paper into 12-inch (30 cm) round, about 1/8-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut into 2-inch (5 cm) squares; arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Prick with fork; sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden around edges. Cool completely on baking sheet. Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
Substitute pecans or walnuts for pistachios.