Mini Cheddar & Dill Scones
These savoury cheese scones are a lovely addition to a charcuterie board. They are also delicious for breakfast or brunch – or as a snack any time.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes (+20 minutes chilling time)
Makes: 18 mini scones
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Balderson Extra Old Cheddar, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, pepper and salt; cut in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra old cheddar and dill, tossing until well combined.
- Whisk cream with egg yolk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened (do not overwork dough). Transfer dough to lightly floured bowl; knead 2 or 3 times. Divide into 3 portions. Pat each portion into 4-inch (10 cm) round. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Place wedges on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Cover and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Brush tops lightly with cream. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serve scones on a charcuterie board with a variety of cured meats, pâté, pickles, fresh and dried fruit, nuts, preserves and/or assorted mustards.