Cheddar Cheese Pastry Twists
- 1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed according to pack directions
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 3 cups Balderson Premium Extra Old Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Poppy seeds or chive, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C).
- Roll half of the pastry (1 block) to a 12-inch (30 cm) square.
- Mix together 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard and 1 cup (250 mL) cheese.
- Sprinkle on half of pastry, fold pastry in half.
- Roll pastry again to form a 12-inch (30 cm) square; cut in half.
- Cut each half into 12 strips about 1 inch (2.5 cm) by 6 inches (15 cm) each.
- Whisk egg and water together.
- Brush strips with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheese and poppy seeds or chives. Lightly press toppings into pastry.
- Twist each strip once or twice, and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Repeat steps with second block of pastry.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served warm. Baked twists may be frozen, then reheated in oven just before serving.