These irresistible Cheddar and potato latkes make an impressive cocktail appetizer, or side dish for dinner or brunch.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled (2 1/2 lb/1.1 kg)
- 1 onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Balderson® Royal Canadian 2-Year-Old Cheddar, divided
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Using large holes on box grater or in food processor, shred potatoes and onion. Let drain in colander; transfer to tea towel and squeeze out excess moisture. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper until combined; set aside.
- Transfer potato mixture to large bowl. Stir in eggs; toss with flour mixture. Fold in half of the cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Pour enough oil into large non-stick skillet to cover bottom of pan; heat over medium heat. Scoop 1/4 cupfuls (60 mL) of batter into pan; flatten with back of spoon to form 4-inch (10 cm) rounds. In six batches, cook latkes for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp around edges, wiping pan and adding more oil as needed. Transfer to paper towel–lined tray.
- Transfer latkes to large unlined baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese; bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and latkes are heated through.
- Serve latkes with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of chives.
- As a variation, serve with applesauce, caviar, smoked salmon and capers.
- Alternatively, make mini latkes, using 2 tbsp of batter for each latke.