Cheddar and Artichoke Palmiers
These light and crispy pastries are a great savoury addition to any dinner party. They will surely impress – and are actually quite easy to prepare.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (each 10-inch/25 cm square), thawed, but still cold
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) shredded Balderson Royal Canadian Cheddar 2 Year Old
- 2 jars (each 170 g) artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cracked pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Spread half of the mustard in thin layer over pastry. Sprinkle with half each of the cheese, artichokes, chives and pepper.
- Starting at one end, roll up halfway to centre of pastry. Repeat, starting with other end, so both rolled sides meet in centre. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet and toppings. Transfer to baking sheets.
- Freeze rolls for 15 minutes on baking sheet. Cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Lay slices flat, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheets. Whisk egg with 1 tsp (5 mL) water; brush over palmiers. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.
Make these ahead of time and freeze until needed.