Balderson Cheddar Cheese and Onion Pan Bread
Balderson Cheddar Cheese and Onion Pan BreadA quick and cheesy recipe for serving alongside your favourite homemade soup. This delicious bread can be made ahead and served the same day reheated in the oven just before serving.
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 Tbsp Lactantia butter (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (2.5 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (480 mL)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 mL)
- 1/4 cup cold Lactantia butter (60 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups grated Balderson Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, divided (240 mL)
- 3/4 cup milk (180 mL)
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds (2.5 mL)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Have ready a well-greased 9-inch (23-cm) round baking dish.
- Melt the Lactantia butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- When the Lactantia butter has melted and is bubbly, add the onion slices and the rosemary and sauté.
- Stir occasionally until the onions are soft, but not brown.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- In a large bowl stir the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a pastry blender or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, blend the cold Lactantia butter and 1 cup (240 mL) of grated Balderson Extra Old Cheddar Cheese until the mixture is the consistency of coarse grains.
- Blend the Beatrice milk into the mixture, just until the dough holds together.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly into a ball.
- Using your hands, flatten the dough to the size of the baking dish.
- Place the dough in the dish.
- Brush the top of the dough lightly with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle half the remaining Balderson cheddar cheese over the dough.
- Next, spread all the onion mixture over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining Balderson cheddar cheese over top and sprinkle with a light dusting of poppy seeds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- The top should be golden brown and the centre should spring back when poked with your finger.
Remove from the oven and serve.