Aged Cheddar Corn Muffin Fritters
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tsp minced fresh herbs / hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups Balderson 2 or 3-year aged Cheddar, crumbled
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, green onions, herbs, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Stir into corn meal mixture.
- Let stand 5 minutes for batter to thicken slightly.
- Fold in cheese.
- Heat oil (about 4-inches/10 cm deep) to 350°F (180°C) in deep fryer, or in a deep saucepan.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil, a few at a time.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, turning frequently, until floating and lightly golden.
- Transfer onto paper towels.
- Repeat until all batter has been used up. Serve warm.
To make ahead, prepare and store at room temperature for up to 1 hour, or in refrigerator if longer. Reheat in 350°F (180°C) oven for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until hot.
If desired, serve with caramelized onion chutney, or your favourite dipping sauce.