Yukon Gold, Sweet Potato And Balderson Cheddar Gratin
- 1-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 shallots, diced or substitute 1/2 cup (125 ml) of onions.
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Lactantia Unsalted Butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup Balderson Old Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Slice potatoes and sweet potatoes thinly.
- Heat shallots, apple juice, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small pot. Butter a 12-cup (3 L) baking dish and rub with a crushed clove of garlic.
- Place the sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes into the baking dish in layers, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
- When all the potatoes are used, pour apple juice (or chicken stock) and shallots over potatoes and top with grated cheese.
- Bake covered for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes to brown surface of gratin.
6 - 8