Balderson Smoked Cheddar and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Canapés
- 2 medium onions, sliced very thinly
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 10ml cornstarch
- 12½cm slices of Balderson® Double Smoked Cheddar
- 24 1cm slices of baguette, cut on an angle
- 1/4 cup Lactantia New European Style Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- Place a large frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Very thinly slice 2 medium onions and place in the frying pan along with the oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat the onions and allow to slowly cook for approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a deep caramel colour and taste sweet.
- When onions are caramelized, slice the Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar and baguette.
- Preheat a clean frying pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of baguette with ½ tsp of butter and place butter side down on a work surface.
- Top 12 of the baguette slices with a spoonful of the caramelized onions, 1 piece of cheese, and finally another slice of baguette.
- Cook the sandwiches until golden on each side and the cheese is nicely melted.
- Serve warm with Dijon mustard, jams, sun-dried tomatoes, or even with a bowl of soup for a light lunch!