- Purchase your cheeses at a reputable cheese shop.
- Try before you buy. A good shop will always let you sample cheeses – especially important if you plan to use them for entertaining or with a specific wine.
- For a party platter or wine tasting, allow about four ounces (100 grams) per person.
If the cheese is part of a full dinner, reduce this amount to two ounces (50 grams).
- Decide on a theme for your selection. For example: a mixture of blue veined cheeses; or a selection of cheddars.
- If you choose cheeses with a strong similarity in taste or appearance, go with only three or four varieties. For a contrasting selection, pick five or six.
- Try to include a range of textures, from soft to firm to hard.
- Choose cheeses of different shapes and heights, some with rinds and some without.